Saturday, August 9, 2008

One World, One Dream

I awoke this morning in the same world that I went to sleep in last night, still stunned at yesterday's multiple news headlines. Overnight I recieved several anonymous comments relating to my last post. I welcome their comments and their points of view. It is only in dialogue and empathy developed through shared understanding that we can remove these headlines from the world's newspapers. Personally, I feel one of the most amazing things about blogs and technology in general is that they open us up to discussions we would never have been able to have otherwise. So I want to take a minute to clarify my point of view and respond to theirs. As a reader, your opinions are fully welcome.

Two days ago the world sat watching the grand pagentry of the Olympic opening ceremony, where fireworks were launched from 60 different sites across Beijing, and millions of dollars were spent in a lavish show that brought the world together if only for four hours. But across the continent the sound of explosions also rang out, and this time they were accompanied by screams of fear, not delight. And so in Beijing and around the world we will continue to speak of peace, but we are reminded whether it is down the street or half a world away, this world that we all call home is as unstable as ever.

For the most part I have felt perfectly safe in China (sans my wallet being stolen), and the Chinese people have been extremely hospitable, sometimes overly. I don't believe the Americans were targeted for being American, but perhaps for being Westerners and I believe that this incident was an exception to the rule in Chinese security. China's President has spoken repeatedly about the fact that security during the Olympics is Beijing's highest priority and in my travels this summer I have experienced China's mighty security arm first hand. I can tell you that it exists and exists in force. But that also doesn't change the fact that an American is dead, that a Chinese man is dead, really that anyone is dead.

Sadly on this otherwise joyous occasion we are reminded that we live in a world of unpredictability; where no matter how you prepare, or try to prevent, if someone wants to inflict terror they will find a way. The Olympics are a symbol of peace, unity, diversity, and acceptance and as such they remain a huge target. We know from history this to be the case, just look at the kidnappings at Munich or the bomb that exploded in Atlanta in 1996.

I appreciate the points of view that were expressed, particularly in the fourth comment, that the underlying issues at play in this situation should be dealt with and that the area has suffered much oppression. In no way am I taking sides, I don't have the breadth of understanding needed to do so, but I think my comments, however, were to say that there are many more options available to be used before bombs should be dropped. War should always be a last resort. Lao-Tzu (Laozi) one of China's most famous philosophers said it best when he said "the supreme excellency is winning without waging a war," because in waging war you will always lose in some capacity.

I whole-heartedly agree with Lao-tzu. I think sometimes we forget the devastation that comes from war. Queen Noor, wrote so elegantly of the repercussions of the First Gulf War on her neighboring country of Jordon that as I heard the news I could see in my minds eye the problems to come, the refugees, the economic stagnation, and the sheer terror affecting the people that will come with this war. Needless to say, I am shocked that as the Russian Prime Minister Putin was smiling and waving to his athletes marching proudly into the stadium he knew that the Russian tanks were rolling into South Ossetia, the disputed territory of Georgia.

So as the games continue we will mourn. We will mourn the senseless loss of life both Todd Bachman's and his attacker Tang Yongming, we will grieve with their friends and family, we will stand in dismay with those families who lives are being torn apart by war, and we will reflect on the fact that peace is both fragile and elusive, forever hanging just out of our grasp. We will have to do this all while the Olympic sized illusion of peace crumbles around us. But I for one will not let it deter me. For I believe that just like the world's athletes who must overcome many obstacles as they strive forward towards their goals of Olympic medals, we too should strive to medal in the event of peace. After all the motto of these games is "One World, One Dream!"

No comments: