Monday, August 11, 2008

Look at them Go!




Michael Phelps and the American men's relay (4x100m) came from a full body length behind at the last turn to outtouched France at wall to win the gold medal by 8 hundreths of a second, to set a new world record by over 4 seconds! Amazing, simply amazing to watch! Okay well they beat the 15 hour old world record set by the American "B" team last night (including Nathan Adrian a Bremerton, Washington native ), but still... And Phelps has overcome what will probably be the hardest race in his bid for 8 golds. And hats off to unknown 3-time Olympian Lezak who swam probably the best 50 meters of his life.

In other news Russian and Georgia female athletes won silver and bronze respectively in a pistol event today (China won gold). They embraced on the medal stand as a sign of national unity.
Georgia's Nino Salukvadze, with her Russian rival Natalia Paderina sitting next to her said, "There should be no hatred among athletes and people."

I hope you are enjoying watching the first days of the Olympics, I know I am. Currently I am enjoying a very tight beach volleyball game between Belgium and China. I am getting more and more excited about attending the Equestrian events in three days time.

In other news, I am now in Guangzhou and have checked back in to the hostel on Shamian Island. Ironically for my last night in China I am sleeping in the same bed as I did on my first night. I can't believe this is my last day in China, that tomorrow I leave... I'm going to try and pull myself away for the tv to go buy my train ticket to Hong Kong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!!! I have been so busy I haven't logged on in ages. Will come back to read all a little later. Big question for you though. Trying to schedule the Birthday party - Clara had reserved Saturday Aug 23rd to coordinate w/ your schedule - any chance we could schedule it for Sunday the 24th? Let me know

Love you,

Aunt Lisa