Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My First Run-In wth the Zhongguo Jingcha

If you don't understand any Chinese than you should know that Zhongguo is China and Jingcha means police. Yes, my first run in with the Police in China. Don't worry obviously I lived to tell the tale.

As we passed through the toll into Qingdao and paid the 175 yuan toll, the car I was in was waived over to the mobile China police station, i.e., a tent with a table underneath. They looked at the driver's license and registration and when they saw a foreigner in the backseat asked to see my passport. We all got out of the car and another officer asked to see in the trunk.

He asked if I spoken any Chinese. I reponded "a little.". He asked if I was American, I responded in the affirmative. He asked if this was a visa for travelling, I said "dui, lvxing.". He wrote some stuff into a book including my namen the cars license number, passport and visa numbers, then handed me back my passport. The whole thing lasted five minutes and we were back on the road.

I suspected and my hosts confirmed that it is added security measures for the Olympics. For the sailing portion of the Games is being hosted in Qingdao. I say good for China to be proactive, I know that while I will be on guard myself when I attend the games it will make me feel a bit safer. For those that don't know in February the Chinese government announced that they arrested several individuals in Xinjiang in connection with an Olympic terrorist plot.

But tonight at least I am safe, I hope you and your families are as well.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

No comments: