Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Similarities and Differences

I have had several experiences during the last several days that I never imagined when I set out on this trip two weeks ago. Nevertheless, I have had to remind myself to not look this gift-horse in the mouth on more than one occasion, when my desire to do things for myself and be in control of the situation has clashed with the Chinese people's euthusiatic hospitable nature.

Chinese hospitality is a different dragon than the US version. I will admit sadly that it led to one confrontation in Tai'an, when I felt a cultural barrier was crossed to the point well passed where I deemed appropriate for the situation. In the end, I felt no choice but to leave. But if the situation in Tai'an ended on a somewhat sour note - a note that I very well wish it had not - it did teach me a very valuable lesson in Chinese generocity and hospitality. That is to say, Chinese hospitality is bottomless, even when you pull the rug out feom under them ir drop in unannounced.

Okay, so I haven't completely tested that theory (as I do make a halfway decent house guest), but I do think that Chinese hospitality is deeper than the American version.

I am never without my own English speaking guide even if she is only fifteen. And I have drank more beer while toasting then I thought possible without bursting. Nevermind the fact that the only time I have managed to pay for anything in the last couple days (and I have tried) was a 10 yuan key deposit and only because my host didn't have anything less than a 100 yuan note and I had a 10 handy, in the end it was only a deposit and I recieved it back! I guess I haven't paid for anything. Someone even paid for my hotel room one night after I had headed up to my room for the night.

I am currently staying with one of the three host families who have opened their doors to me since arriving in Jining - Liye's family, Emma's family and Anya's family, never mind Ben who has arranged this all for me. My dad would be happy to know that while in Jining I have not been out of anyone's sights... period.

These wonderful people have accompanied me up Taishan, to Qufu, Zoucheng, and Qingdao. They have taken me swimming and fishing (though not at the sametime). I have had traditional chinese instruments played for me and I've been properly introduced to Chinese pop music. They have taken me out out to eat, they have cooked for me, and they have taughted me how to make dumplings. In doing so they have introduced me to regional delicacies like Chicken toes; watermellon sushi; grasshoppers and other fried bugs, which I have eaten four; pea poposicles, which taste like green tea with frozen pea bits embedded; digua, a dish of sweet potatoes deepfried and covered in sugar; mazhe which is translated as gingilbi? Any clue anyone? it brown and goes on greenbeans; a fruit called well I can't remember but it is green and has a consistancy of a pear but on the inside it is like a tomato. And much, much more.

But for them showing me all that is unique I have learned that giggling and laughter transcend any language barrier. Pets know if you are an animal person. There are warm pee spots in all pools and soccer fans on all couches throughout the globe. Small kids preforming will always make you smile. The "are we there yet?" wine is universal. No matter where you are when your sick your parents bed is the best place of all, but no one can replace your parents. Medicine tastes bad, period. The fact that men don't like asking for directions and womed love of all things chocolate and ice cream is interwoven into the respective chromosomes. And nothing tastes better than home cooked food.

To finish with a quote from dinner... Your skin may be white and we may call our skin brown, but we drink the same beer.

That's all folks as the crazy pig likes to say. Just wanted to leave a note on my observations, I do promise to post about my trips to see Confucius and Menciucs as well as what a Chinese persons daily life looks like. Hope all is well back in the states.

Ash

P.S. If you picked up on it yes I had a bought of something, but it looks like I am over it. A mix of the hot nights, humid days, too much new food, probably a mouthful of bad water, and not sleeping well due to the wood plank like beds. Oh yeah and I am prone to migraines, but alas, I am well now! But if you would keep me in your thoughts and/or prayers I would appreciate it and I know my parents would too.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ! Ashley

Hope you are having fun and having a Great adventure. Looking forward to seeing next time to hear all the stories you must have.

Please always be safe. We are enjoing your web site.

Love Uncle Kent

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Ashley,

Hi ! Hope you are diong well? Are You having fun? Im just getting to work on Sunday at 5:10AM.
Wanted to say Good Morning and you have a Great day !

Have Lots of Fun
I Love You
Aunt Bev
BE SAFE !!