Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I must have died and gone to heaven...

...or done something to shine God's favor on me (like enduring being sick yesterday morning) because the hotel we are staying at is absolutely wonderful.That is to say that th beds are not wood planks but soft and there are many Westwrn ammenities. Apparently when Chinese government officials (like the PM or President) come from Beijing to Qingdao they stay in this hotel. It is right on the sea.



Because of this not only did I get to take an actual shower (in most chinese homes and hotels the showers are makeshift with the entire bathroom serving as the shower basin. Thus, I am always worried I am going to flood the place and opt to use the handheld cababilities instead of letting the water rain down on me like we are used to in the west). Alas, this morning i had an actual shower for the first time in 2 weeks and I got to use soap that is not my shampoo, the rest of me actually smells different then my hair.



But this is not why I think I am in God's favor... When we arrived in the breakfast room spread amongst the usual Chinese breakfast wears of portiage (sp), many vegetables, noddles, rice, and stuffed buns there were fried eggs, ham, and sweet potatoes along with some fruit. Already my stomach was taking a sigh of relief as I went to find a table. But that was when the maricle happenned, my eyes fell on a toaster and a plate of white bread, sitting there next to it was a dish of strawberry jam and wait for it, wait for it... COFFEE!!!!!!



I really do feel like I am in heaven, even though I don't imagine that heaven is quite as grey and drizzly as the weather outside. Nonetheless, with normal western breakfast foods in my tummy I am one happy camper regardless.



On another note, to add to the list from yesterday the sea smells the same everywhere too!


From Qingdao in Shandong Province, this is Ashley signing off.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

Hope this finds you having a great time. Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you today.

I enjoy your web site :-)

Love Aunt Bev
Be SAFE

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley!

WOW! What an amazing experience you are having! Lot's of ups and downs for sure, but in the end, you are enriching your life and those of the people you meet in China: helping to make the world a smaller, more connected place. LUCKY YOU!

So have you been skiing yet in China? :)
And have you been to a Starbucks yet? I believe we're in Xi'an, as well as many other places.

And I agree with you about Bank of America! Not my favorite neighborhood bank! I hope you've been able to work out the money stuff......

I look forward to seeing you again this winter, and having the time to hear some stories, see some pictures, and share a big HUG! Here's a big warm hug to you now, konwing that you are a long way from family and friends. (((((( X O )))))). We're there in spirit and heart. Annie and I talked about your trip last night and we enjoyed a moment of spirit with you. ENJOY!
Bruce mct