Monday, July 21, 2008

Uighur and Chinese Minorities

I have been travling for 37 days now and have really covered some territory. Just see that long purple line in the picture. I have made it to the western most province called Xinjiang. This actually isn't a province it is an autonomous region. Meaning they have more local control than other provinces, there are 5 autonomous regions: Guanxi, Ningxia, Inner Mongolia, Tibet, and Xinjiang. Xinjiang is known for being home to the Uighur (Uyger) minority group. There are 55 recongonized minority groups in China and they all have their own unique culture.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Hi there,

I have tried to post comments on several occasions, I hope this one works.

I look at your web site each weekday morning to see what adventures you are having. I am amazed at how far you have traveled in such a short time.

It seems that the farther west you go the more traditional culture you are finding. You have a great opportunity to see it now before the modernization moves it out.

Your mom, Aunt Lisa, and Aunt Maria are in Michigan this week so I don't know if you will hear from them. July has been a perfect month here. We have had sunshine and 70 degree days so far.

Hope your travels are safe and educational. Look forward to reading your next blog.

Rhonda.